Adding an email account to Gmail has a few more steps than adding an account to Outlook. Here are the steps involved;
1) Sign in to Gmail. In the top right corner, click on the Settings icon until a drop menu appears then click on Settings.
2) In the next panel, click on the Accounts and Import tab. In this tab you will see several options on the left side including: Change account settings, Import mail and contacts, Send mail as, and Check mail from other accounts (using POP3). We are going to change the settings in the later two i.e. Send mail as, and Check mail from other accounts.
3) In the Send mail as row of the page, click on Add another email address you own. The following panel appears. Add your name and the email address you wish to add to Gmail (do not place your gmail address here). Leave the ‘Treat as an alias’ box checked. Click Next Step.
4) Next, another panel appears with 2 options. You can choose either one however you may discover a message ‘sent on behalf of…‘ if you use the ‘Send through Gmail’ option. It may depend what email program your recipients use. Recipients using Outlook may see the above message with your 2 email addresses, which looks unprofessional. Choose the second option and click Next Step.
5) Complete the next panel which will use your website server as your mail server (instead of Gmail). In the field ‘SMTP Server‘ you may need to replace mail.example.com with smtp.example.com. Insert your email address (not gmail) and password from your server and click Add Account.
6) Another panel appears (below). Gmail will send an email to your added account address with a verification code. Copy and paste the code in the box and click Verify.
7) Now you can send mail via your added email account, through Gmail. To check your mail through Gmail you need to go back to the Accounts and Import tab of the Settings panel which should appear after to clicked Verify above. On the 4th row down you will find Check mail from other accounts (using POP3). Click Add a POP3 mail account you own.
8) Fill in your email address in the panel that appears. Click Next Step.
9) The panel below appears. Complete the fields including your password. You may wish to check some of the options available particularly ‘Leave a copy of retrieved message on the server’. At some point you may need to delete emails off your server because as with Gmail you do have limits (but it’s usually a lot!). Click Add Account and you’re finished! Always test your account before sending critical emails.