It is very important to have inbound links to your website in order to improve your search engine rankings. Think of inbound links as ‘likes’ on Facebook- the more you have, the more important the search engines think your website is however, there is a caveat. It used to be you could not get enough inbound links. Quality links are more important than sheer numbers- those with high PagerRank. Having a high number of inbound links from meaningless directories can actually have a negative effect on your search engine rankings.
Here is a selection of high PageRank web directories for Canadian websites. Submit your site for free and enjoy quality inbound links:
1. Google– If you haven’t submitted your site already, here is the sign-up page. Use all of Google’s free services to help increase your business listing’s ranking on the search engines.
Use the above link to sign-up to Google then create a free listing in Google Places for Business and create a Google+ Business Page. Don’t forget to submit your sitemap through Google Webmaster Tools.
2. Bing – one of the 3 major search engines, submit your site here: http://www.bing.com/toolbox/submit-site-url . Submitting your site to Yahoo! is also done through Bing so this is an important site submission you don’t want to miss. Don’t forget to submit your sitemaps through Bing Webmaster Tools too.
3. Yelp Canada – This is a great place to list your site and receive input about your business from customers. Sign-up here: https://biz.yelp.ca/ .
4. Kijiji Canada– I’ve used Kijiji for years to create a quality inbound link to my website. Posting an ad about your business is free and will expire after a few weeks but you can repost the ad for free. To add your web url (very important) Kijiji charges a small fee- around $5.00 US. It’s worth it for this quality link. Sign-up and create your first ad here: http://www.kijiji.ca
5. The Canadian Business Directory – a new directory for Canadian businesses that is very easy to submit a listing. You can upload one image for free (size 500 x 500 pixels). Currently you can get a free listing. List your site here.
6. Yellow Pages 360 Business Centre– Yes, you can get a free listing without paying for Yellow Page advertising. Here’s the sign-up page: http://businesscentre.yp.ca/free-business-listing
7. 411.ca – Sign up here for a free listing.
8. Cylex Canada – This is another good directory. First, check to see if your business is already listed here.
9. Hotfrog.ca – The sign-up page is here
10. Canadian Trade Index – If you are a manufacturer this is an important location for listing your business. By submitting your business you can receive a powerful inbound link. Add your business here.
11. Goldbook.ca – You can obtain a free business listing here or pay for an upgraded listing. Sign-up.
12. Profile Canada – Another good directory that’s free for Canadian businesses. Sign-up here.
13. CanadaOne – Another great directory for Canadian businesses. Sign-up here.